Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mum - 20.11.2007

Days before mum's birthday.. I was wondering: What to do.. where to bring her? It's a Tuesday (i.e. work day) so I was wondering where to celebrate..

I then came across this article in the newspaper, that there was going to be a charity piano recital by our local renowned pianist, Ng Chong Lim. It was to be held on the 20th and 21st Nov at Mega Deck Function Hall, KL Tower. This charity event was organized by the H.E.A.R.T. Foundation (Cambodia), in aid of the Lovely Nursing Centre and Ti-Ratana Welfare Society, homes for the abandoned elderly and children. I immediately thought this would be a good idea.. my mum would definitely enjoy the piano recital, and also good to do some charity, so I made a reservation for 2 tickets ;)

After finishing work, I rushed home to pick my mum.. then back to the city. We made it, despite the rain and the notorious KL jam. It started slightly later than scheduled, as we were waiting for the arrival of our little guests of honor - the orphans from the homes. They performed a song cum dance.. which the audience watched with delight. I'm just thankful that these innocent ones are in good hands, and hopefully under proper care and support, they would succeed in life just as any other kid with a complete family.

Ng then played pieces from 4 composers: Robert Schumann, Leos Janáček, Ottorino Respighi and Franz Liszt. The pieces were well-performed and the audience asked for more. It ended at about 10pm.

I then brought mum to a Thai restaurant, which Lik Xon brought me just the weekend before (thanks for the recommendation!!) It's called Green Lotus Cafe, located along this small alley behind Lot 10 - Walter Grenier Road, Off Imbi Road. Food was good, love the ambience.. very cosy. Will upload some pics when I get my hands on them :)

No comments: